Dog Obedience Classes
The benefits of having a trained dog are nearly limitless! From the moment you get your new puppy or dog, here’s a run-down of just some of the advantages and benefits:
• Puppy classes provide the opportunity for getting your new family member started off right. Puppy classes provide the experiences and opportunities for your puppy to develop interaction skills with other puppies, with people, and in new environments.
• Puppy socialization has been found to be critical to the psychological health of adult dogs. Puppy classes provide the opportunity for this important facet of your puppy’s upbringing.
• Training classes provide dog owners the skills and knowledge for dealing with common, normal dog behaviors—starting with puppy behaviors such as house training and chewing.
• No matter what age you start training your dog, foundation training provides the basis for any activity, behavior or job you want your dog to do.
• Training provides dogs with the basic good manners we all want—from polite greeting when guests arrive, to walking nicely on the leash, to coming when called.
• A trained dog is a fully participating member of the family—what a gift for all of you!
• A trained dog joins in the fun when company comes, accompanies the family to the kids’ sports games, goes with you to visit friends and relatives, goes for hikes, swims, and everything else the family does together.
• Training enables you to choose from among a broad range of activities and dog sports to participate in and enjoy with your dog such as dog agility, Rally obedience, dancing with your dog, tracking, search and rescue, skijoring, sledding, water rescue trials, obedience, carting, reading programs, therapy work, and a nearly endless range of fun and philanthropic things to do!
• Training has been shown to be the single most important thing that keeps a dog
in his or her “forever” home.
• Training builds your mutual bond, enhances the partnership and enriches the
relationship you share with your dog. Is there anything better?
• Having a trained dog is a joy for both you and your dog!
Here are just a few of the reasons to sign up for an AWS Obedience Class:
The trainers at AWS have the CPDT-KA designation. This stands for Certified Professional Dog Trainer- Knowledge Assessed and indicates the trainer has 300+ hours of experience, professional references and has passed a comprehensive examination that tests the trainer’s knowledge of learning theory, canine ethology, animal husbandry, classroom management, teaching techniques and more!
Experience with Rescue Dogs
Who knows a rescue dog better than the people who work with them everyday? We have many years of
experience working with shelter and rescue dogs. These dogs have unique needs and their success rate
with the right training is amazing!
We keep the cost of our classes reasonable. All class fees are used to provide medical and behavioral
care for the many animals that arrive at AWS each year. Through your support the shelter is able to
provide this professional service.
We also offer a behavioral helpline (985-3244 x 113) to assist pet owners with any questions or problems they might be having. Call our Obedience Trainer at (207) 985-3244 x111 with any questions or concerns you may have.
Please note that the shelter is closed for adoptions and visitation on the third Wednesday of the month, however Obedience Classes still occur.
Below please find our exciting obedience courses. Click on a link for more information!
S.T.A.R. Puppy Kindergarten- Is your dog 5 months old or younger? Sign up for Puppy Kindergarten and start your puppy off on the right paw! (more...)
Basic Obedience and Dog Behavior- For dogs over 5 months of age, learn to become the leader of the pack. Let us teach you how to teach your dog! (more...)
Canine Life and Social Skills (C.L.A.S.S.) - Developed by the Association of Pet Dog Trainers based on input from both dog owners and non-dog owners, shelter workers, and professional dog trainers, C.L.A.S.S. benefits pet owners, dogs, and everyone in the community! (more...)
AKC Canine Good Citizen- Your dog can become certified as a Canine Good Citizen through the American Kennel Club and the AWS! (more...)
Agility and Obedience Combination Class- Teach your dog some new tricks! Dogs love agility and advanced obedience work. (more...)
Basic Obedience Graduate Series- Did your dog excel in basic obedience? Maybe he/she needs a refresher course? Perhaps you had so much fun training and working with your dog that you wish the classes had not ended? We have just the class for you! (more...)
Please note that all classes must be paid in full prior to a week before the class in order to hold your space. If payment is not received, we reserve the right to fill your spot within seven days of the first class.